Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Smells

It was an interesting class in which we wrote about something with smells. We brought variety of things, such as perfume, flowers, cosmetics, even garlic, and wrote down different images that created in our minds after took a smell at those things. The time was limited, and I think I have a chance to put those scenes and my favorite smells into details right now. The experience of smelling the fragrant things can excite my sense of smell into the brain, and create some of the beautiful scenes that I ever experienced or it might not be real ones. And I also know that some ordinary and light smells are really hard to stimulate the energy and power of thinking to form some of the wonderful scenes in mind, don`t even think about bring back good memories.

Perfume

I`m crazy about perfume, cologne is my favorite especially. They seem like the patent on beautiful ladies and charming men. That is what I expect about; I can find where exactly it is coming from on streets, or in public. Taking a smell at perfume feels like I am in a fine restaurant, or having fun in a ball and ready to invite a fashionable lady to dance with. My life is likely to go into a higher level than before in a word. I also like collecting perfume samples since I was following with interest to fashion these years. I shut my window blind in order to darken my room as much as I can, and sit at a table and watch my collection quietly in a certain afternoon. I would like to take a smell at each of those. The liquids have different smells and colors in various sample bottles. Top notes, middle notes and base notes. Obviously, it is in the same bottle, but sometimes it varies different smells. I indulge myself with perfume; a smell of perfume is also a mood of mine.

The Smells of Chinese Food

There is one smell that I am not able to bring it to class is the taste of Chinese food. Unlike the smell of perfume, it is too difficult to be described in a word. Unlike any other countries, China has merged its five thousand years of history into the food. China is almost the same area as the United States. But people cook varieties of food from southern China to northern China, and from eastern China to Midwestern China.

Kongpao Chicken and Mapo Tofu are the famous Midwestern Chinese dishes in America. Their features are greasy and spicy. So you can imagine people in Sichuan are full of passion even though you have never been there before, and they are always ready to welcome the guests from all over the world. Their enthusiasm can be compared to the peppers in those dishes. People are mainly live on seafood along the coast in southeastern China. The ways of cooking are boiling and steaming, for the purpose of cooking in those ways are to keep and protect the original taste and flavor. And the food there is mild of course, so you just think that people are very easy to get along with in that area. The food in northern China is made from wheat, especially for staple. Noodles, dumplings and all kinds of steamed buns with stuffing are reflecting the people`s personalities are frank and straightforward there.

It is too shallow if we just talk about the flavors of every dish, or whether we like it or not because food is part of culture in different countries. It can`t be formed in a short period, and it is the product of accumulation. So that is the reason why I am so emotional when I refer to the food in my country. It brings me the memories more than its flavors in my hometown.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bruce,

    I have so enjoyed reading the entries in your blog so far. I just had to stop and comment on this wonderful consideration of smells. I love your reaction to perfumes/colognes and the picture you paint of you sitting in a dark room enjoying your collection. In much the same way, you give detail and clear expression to your love of Chinese food smells. Great work. I really admire your use of this blog space as a place to reflect on your progress in 306.

    ReplyDelete