Sunday, September 27, 2009

Test is a Way of Urging People to Study Harder

Finally! My new roommate, let’s call her Ann, passed her driving instruction permit test today! Why am I so excited about this? I was like her driving instruction teacher since she started to learn all the rules about driving! She chose me because I am the only one in our house, who has an American driving license and real driving experiences for almost 5 years. The most important reason was I took the real American driving test just several months ago (we have to take the driving test in Motor Vehicle Division to obtain an American drive license even if we have the almost similar certificate ID from China).

People can have three attempts on the test from one pay to the MVD, and Ann used all her three chances she paid to the MVD department to pass this so-called “writing test”, which made me worried about her all through those straggling three weeks (We can only match our schedule work for the test time once a week). I drove her there and back for three times and heard a lot her feelings and experiences about the test, then we made a conclusion about the major reason why MVD gives people three tries for the test and made them pass once they can made 24 items out of 30. The MVD do want people who taking the drive tests familiar with all the driving instructions they put into the booklet, and review them again and again!

Ann thought the first test she had was the easiest one of the three, but because she did not look through the booklet carefully enough, she failed the first test with a point 23 out of 30. Then she called the second test the hardest one, “if I had the knowledge I had that time to take the first test I can totally get the permit ID!” she told me this hundreds of times, and my reaction to this were “that’s why DMV gives you 3 chances to pass this test, they want you to read through all the content”, and she would agree with me and came into silence for about 5minites, then talks about where she lost points in the test. I could not answer all the problems correctly she lost in the test, which made her felt some kind of comfort, because “even my ‘teacher’ will miss the point!” she always end up her “speech” with this words and satisfied expression on her face. I do feel a little ashamed about this, but I still hold my point that not everyone has a drive license knows the driving instructions well enough to get 100% on the instruction test every time, because people have to learn through the driving experiences! This is just like the tests or exams we had or will have during our journey of study. The problems showed on the exam are only a small part of the iceberg of knowledge, and we have to know all the knowledge so that we can make 100% out of every random test that teachers give us. The test is just another way of urging us to study harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment