Yesterday was Saturday, and it was the third time I have been asked for change by homeless man in this week. It is so worthy to record that I offer unselfish help to those people who really need to be helped. These were the significant and embarrassing moments that I have to write them down on my blog. I usually go to Subway for dinner where it is located on the Speedway blvd and Campbell blvd. I found those homeless people usually sit right beside the restaurant, and ask passerby for change or those people who just get out of the restaurant. They are smart enough to ask those people who are getting out of a restaurant or ask the people who are about to go in for dinner, because those people have greater chance to have change with them. And success or not depends on whether they are willing to offer them trivial help.
I usually keep my change in wallet for doing laundry in the weekends. So I had my change with me when those homeless people asked me. They were happened almost at the same place with different middle-age men. They were easily to be seen, but I did not want to pay attention to them so that they would not stop me for a conversation. I was walking fast enough and lower my head so that they would not notice my existence. An “Excuse me” stopped me, and I had to move my eyes toward the voice where it came from. A middle-age man held a board sat on the ground. He wears long grey hair with his ragged shirt on. The board says,” I am homeless and hungry. I need some change for food.” I was thinking, “Why did you ask me? There are somebody else on the street, ask them!”
I did not really want to pay attention to what he was saying, but after I saw he was tightly holding his hands, it was like begging me if I was kind enough to give him some change. I looked him in his eyes. His eyesight was weak but sincerely. I did not know if he was really need some change for food. Probably, he might felt better if I gave a hand to him even though it is just one dollar. I walked toward him, and put a couple of quarters in his hands. He smiled sincerely, and so appreciated that I can tell from his face and words. We were strangers met on the street, I felt amazing to help others despite it was a trivial thing. Foremost, I can help those people who really need help from others even though I did not have to.
I felt it was embarrassing at the very first time someone asked me for change on the street. I just struggled inside of my heart. It was not that much, but helping them was not part of my obligation. I thought this was not a permanent solution to solve all these homeless issues. The government should step forward to help them rather than our people on the street. I worked it out. It is no big deal to help them. I would like to give my help as much as I can in the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment