The topic of my commonplace analysis is if it is possible to lower the drinking age in the United States. I haven’t decided my topic actually because I`m not sure if my argument and thesis are persuasive enough for it. But the topic was the first commonplace came up in my mind though. I would like to try it out in this essay. The legal drinking ages are various in different countries all over the world. Basically, the most common legal drinking ages we can see around the world are 18 years old and 21 years old. Their reasons of setting the legal drinking ages are different of course. As we know, the legal drinking age in the United States are 21. I am going to talk about the reasons of how the government decided to set the legal drinking age and some key definitions for it. And I will state my clear thesis that I will support to lower the legal drinking age to 18 years old instead of 21.
There are two major aspects I am going to discuss throughout my essay. The first one is health care of drinking, and the other one is crimes, which are caused by alcohol abuse. My two resources are both from the library of the University of Arizona, and one for each of those aspects. I would like to talk about the relationship of health care and drinking first. Because the major reason of setting the drinking age is 21 is base on the concern with teenagers` health. We know that teenagers haven`t completely growth and develop at the age between 18 and 21. But I still doubt were there plenty of experiments to prove that drinking alcohol is harmful for teenagers at their early age? Is alcohol more harmful than the cigarette? I will make a contrast these two things in a scientific way, mostly, I am going to cite cases from the resources that I had. To prove smoking is more harmful than drinking at teenagers` early age as much as I can. Drinking has smaller chance to cause deadly disease than smoking after all.
In the upcoming paragraphs, I will mainly talk about the relationship between crimes and alcohol. Most people might think that (not all of them) crimes are caused by alcohol. Teenagers are a group of people, who have less self-control and easy to lose their head easily. If they are allowed to go to bars at their early age, most of the fighting, stealing, or even killing will be caused by them, probably. I don`t quite hold the same idea as they do actually. Recently, the government passed a law of concealed weapons is allowed in bars in Tucson. Well, the main reason of people carrying weapons with them is self-defend. If weapons are allowed in public (even though it is concealed weapon), which means if it is increased the chanced of death in public? Do you think those people who are already 21 in bars with their concealed weapon have more common sense or self-control than those young men who are still under the legal drinking age? I don`t think so. First of all, people drink in bars with the purpose of having fun rather than asking for troubles. Young people, especially, those college students are going to have more options to have fun if the government lowers the legal drinking age by any chance in the future.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment