The grade of the 1st essay came over yesterday, and it was a little shock but not too much. Indeed, my mind went blanked as soon as I saw the grade. It fell short of my expectations, but it doesn`t work out if I just keep complaining about it. I thought the essay might not be as many errors as it is. It deserved it after I read through my essay once again, particularly, the corrections on the copy and the comment from my instructor. I still have a lot of work to improve.
The grade is valuable, which is clearly showing my writing level in class. But it means nothing at the same time because it can`t reflect anything about my writing, or it can`t provide any information about where do I need to improve or pay more attention on it. I like reading comment since it points out the good writing that I have in my essay, and what is deficient or lack persuasiveness in it. I feel frustrated that the errors, which were pointed out in the critique were so basic that I didn`t even realize them before I turn it in.
I admit grammar errors and tens usage problems are come from second language issue. This part is big enough to affect my grade in each essay throughout the semester. Right now, I experienced the differences from my first year writing courses. Probably, I had the same problems when I was in my freshman composition course. But it seems much easier to get a higher grade in that class. My only strategy was tried to avoid grammar errors as many as I could. The requirement was less, and I didn`t have to pay much attention to paragraph thing or composition structure. Actually, they asked to, but not as much as in sophomore writing course. In advanced composition class is a different story, instructor strictly grading essays in a higher level, in other words, the grading standard is focusing on different things.
There are two major challenges from this English class, one is I have to pay more attention or do more work on my grammar thing, secondly, how to write essays. The point is how to form a better structure of my essay, which is design. I loss most of my points on it I believe. Some confusion is also caused by my structure design. Some points of view that I wanted to say, but they were not showed in my article. The problem comes from my revision. I can barely found my errors or confusion if I revise my essay just by myself. I think it works if I write drafts as many as possible and show them to different people to help me editing my draft. There is a bunch of writing waiting ahead of me. My goal of writing a blog about my 1st essay is sharing the feeling of it. The most important thing is figuring out ways of improving my writing little by little in my upcoming assignments.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment